National Teen Driver Safety Week
October 16-22, 2016
Mark your calendars for National Teen Driver Safety Week October 16-22, 2016. Motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death for 15- to 19- year olds in the United States. In fact, in 2014 there were 2,679 teen (15 to 19) passenger vehicle drivers involved in fatal crashes and an estimated 123,000 teens were injured. Parents need to take the time to talk with their kids about the many dangers of driving. Those dangers include alcohol, lack of seat belt use, distracted driving, speeding, and extra passengers. These dangers are covered in the “5 to Drive” rules of the road.
Free safety material can help start the conversation with teen drivers about the rules of the road. Even if you think they don't hear you, they do. Use the "5 to Drive" - Set the Rules Before They Hit the Road. Read more here.
LOOK OUT! Deer Damage Can Be Costly!
State Farm® tips to protect yourself on the road.
In many U.S. states, drivers are all too familiar with deer crossing signs, but do they really know how close the danger may be? State Farm has released its annual deer claim study, which ranks states by the potential drivers had of hitting a large animal, including deer, elk and moose over a given time period. On average, one of every 41 West Virginia drivers will have an insurance claim for damage caused by a collision with a deer in 2016.
Check out all of the resources on the page, and read our Good Neighbors story “Deer Meets Motorcycle”.
The National Road Safety Foundation has several contests that your youth can enter to raise safe driving awareness and earn cash prizes. Below is a list for you to circulate, post, email and put in your newsletters. They are as follows:
1. Drive Safe Los Angeles is now open for students in Los Angeles, Orange, Ventura, San Bernardino, Riverside and Santa Barbara Counties. POSTMARK DATE FOR SUBMISSIONS IS FRIDAY, OCTOBER 14th and RECEIVED BY MONDAY, OCTOBER 24th, 2016. Theme – Distracted Driving. Winner gets $2,000 and will have their PSA produced by a professional TV crew at his/her school to be shown at the L.A. Auto Show and aired on Teen Kids News. Runner-up gets $1,000. http://www.nrsf.org/teenlane/content/drivesafela
2. Drive 2 Life PSA Contest begins Wednesday, October 5th across the country for students in grades 6 – 12. POSTMARK DATE FOR SUBMISSIONS IS FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 3rd and RECEIVED BY FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 17th, 2017. Theme – Distracted Walking. Winner receives - $1,000, a trip to NYC and their PSA professionally produced and aired on Teen Kids News. Two Runners-up in grades 6-8 will receive $500 and two runners-up grades 8-12 receive $500. http://www.nrsf.org/teenlane.org/contests/drive_2_life
3. DrivingSkills 101:Expect the Unexpected Contest begins Monday, October 17th for SADD Chapters across the nation. SUBMISSION DEADLINE IS MONDAY, JANUARY 30th, 2017. Theme – Driver Safety in bad weather conditions. Top 10 Chapters receive $250 and winning chapter $2,500. PSA will be produced by a professional TV crew at his/her school to be premiered at SADD National Conference and aired on Teen Kids News. http://www.nrsf.org/teenlane/content/contests
4. Drive Safe Chicago is now opened to teens in Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin and Iowa. POSTMARK DATE FOR SUBMISSIONS IS WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 14th and RECEIVED BY FRIDAY, DECEMBER 18th . Theme – Distracted Driving. Winner receives -$2,000 and will have their PSA produced by a professional TV crew at his/her school to be shown at the Chicago Auto Show and aired on Teen Kids News. Runner-up gets $1,000. http://www.nrsf.org/teenlane/content/drive-safe-chicago
5. Safe Rides, Save Lives Contest is now open to FCCLA members across the country. SUBMISSION DEADLINE IS TUESDAY, DECEMBER 6th, 2016. Theme – Teen Driver Risks relating to Passenger Safety. Winner in 1st place receive $3,500, 2nd place $1,000 and 3rd place $500. Winning PSA will be submitted to the National Association of Broadcasters and aired on Teen Kids News. http://www.nrsf.org/teenlane/contests/safe-rides-save-lives
St. Cloud State University Job Opening
St. Cloud State University is seeking applicants for the “Instructor-Traffic Safety Education (TSE) Programs position as per attached notice of vacancy. As part of our Recruitment Plan … we see it as important to communicate to Members of ADTSEA. Please communicate to your membership. See link below for more details and if you have any questions, please contact -
Gail M. Ruhland, CCT, MBA, Ed.D
Interim Executive Director, Center for Continuing Studies
St. Cloud State University, St. Cloud, MN
Office Phone: (320) 308-5759, Fax: (320) 308-4126
St Cloud Job Opening Document
MassDOT announces new learning guides for teen drivers
On Thursday, August 18, the Massachusetts Department of Transportation began issuing a new guidebook for teen drivers and their parents.
The guidebook is called “The Parents Supervised Driving Program’’ and was published by Safe Roads Alliance. It will be mailed to the parents of teens who have applied for a learner’s permit two to three weeks after their application is received. Read more here.
From Reid's Dad
This blog helps parents find the right balance between exposing teens to life’s risks while protecting them from life’s dangers, with a particular focus on safe teen driving. If this is your challenge, this blog is for you. Read more here. YouTube Video here.
2016 ODOT TSD Transportation Safety Conference
Hello! There is still time to register for the 2016 ODOT TSD Transportation Safety Conference, October 24 & 25, 2016 at the Embassy Suites Hotel in Tigard.
If you need lodging, please contact the Embassy Suites hotel and mention the ODOT Conference to receive special room pricing for the conference. 503.644.4000
You have until October 3, 2016 to make your reservation with special pricing.
We look forward to seeing you next month.
ODOT Conference Agenda
We would like to thank our newest ADTSEA Members:
Michael Lucas Medeiros (HI)
John Courtney (MI)
Roger Lundeen (MN)
Sean Davison (PA)
Paul Dube (MI)
Rizall Daquioag (HI)
Angela Gooden (LA)
Johnelle Chon (HI)
Michelle Carriaga (HI)
Donald Evangelista (HI)
Jeffrey Mead (MT)
Robert Szyman (IL)
2016 ADTSEA Conference Presentations and Pictures
Visit the ADTSEA website here for conference presentations and here for conference pictures.
Limited edition ADTSEA 60th year pins were available at this year’s conference. These are still available for purchase at $20. Previous years pins are also available for $10. If you are interested in purchasing a pin, please contact the office.
Mark your calendar for next year’s ADTSEA Conference for July 16-19, 2017 in Sacramento, California at the Hilton Sacramento Arden West. http://www.hiltonsacramentoardenwest.com/
Below are some links for travel guides in Sacramento. Thank you!
Thank you to all our members for your continued support of ADTSEA and we look forward to seeing you all in Sacramento, CA next year!
Mark your calendar for July 16 – 19, 2017.
October eNewsletter Sponsors
Thank you for supporting ADTSEA
Click here to sponsor future eNewsletters
This e-mail was sent to ADTSEA members.
Unsubscribe from this list.
Our mailing address is:
1434 Trim Tree Road
Indiana, PA 15701
1 (877) 485-7172
Copyright @ 2011 ADTSEA All rights Reserved.